I was going to my violin group lesson this morning and me and my mum were talking about something that she'd seen on the internet. She said that there was a video on YouTube trying to encourage girls to be scientists. Some people were greatly offended at the video, because of a range of reasons, but some people had obviously thought about it and I know somebody who has already changed their mind due to the video, and is willing to do more to help girls get into science. If you'd like to watch it at the end of this post I will put a link to the video. What do you think of it? Feel free to post your opinions!
On 'mumsnet', an online forum for mothers to exchange ideas about a certain topic, there is 200+ posts on a thread about the video, named 'Prepare yourself for a fit of rage', most of the mothers being outraged at the video saying that it is sexist.
Here are my thoughts about the video and girls/women in science (a bit random, but I'll share them anyway):
My opinion of the video is that it is merely trying to encourage girls to be scientists, saying that they're not only capable of being models and fashion designers. I think that the video meant no harm but might accidently cause offence to men (the guy looking at the girls).
However, risks for women scientists are that it might affect childbirth if the woman happens to be pregnant, or maybe tradition might affect their career: tradition is that men are scientists and some women may think that it isn't good to change that. It can also backfire as well though. Maybe men might think that they have to follow tradition and end up as a scientist even though they might not want to. In fact, I know somebody who did just that.
So don't forget to post your opinions! Oh, and here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g032MPrSjFA
No comments:
Post a Comment